Friday, June 21, 2013

My journey into Home Automation begins with SmartThings.  As an early back on Kickstarter, I received my starter pack and free lifetime service!  :)

For my birthday in early June, I asked for things from their list of compatible devices, and received a Belkin WeMo Switch & Motion.  Unfortunately, the Belkin didn't integrate as well as I'd hoped.  My intent is to control everything from within the SmartThings Mobile app, but the WeMo is only controlled through its own app. However, with the use of IFTT Channels linked with the WeMo switch, I'm able to turn on/off a light in my house via text message.  I can even extend that to control it via Siri. :)  It's not exactly the SmartThings integration I was hoping for, but still pretty cool nonetheless.

One of the things at the top of my list is to be able to monitor and control the garage door for my house.  I'm thinking I would use the SmartSense Multi sensor to detect if the door is open or closed, along with something like the Evolve LFM-20 Fixture Module to be the actual trigger for opening/closing the door.  Not being very electrically inclined, I'm a little nervous about what it might take to connect it, though.  Hopefully some online tutorials will make it easy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment